I just realized there have been 5 photos of ice cream in the last 3 posts. This calls for a back on track meal. I was definitely craving greens and something light. Light, but still filling. On the way home, I stopped at one of those expensive specialty markets in NYC for the ingredients I had in mind for dinner. I am running low on produce since my last “big grocery shopping trip.” I save those trips for TJ’s and Whole Foods. Going to the specialty markets or generic grocery stores, like Gristedes, which tend to be kind of crappy, only when I need to a few things fast.
I knew I had a block of tofu at home, so I picked up green leaf lettuce, a medium eggplant, sliced portobello mushrooms, and some fruit grapes and blueberries. The fruit is not for dinner, but for breakfast/snacking. Dinner was going to be simple: baked tofu and steamed vegetables over greens.
For the Tofu:
- Preheat the oven to 400 and cover baking sheet with foil and cooking spray
- Drain and Press Tofu for 10-15 minutes
- Slice into 1/2 inch thick slabs
- Place slices on baking sheet and season with salt, pepper, and red pepper
- Bake for 30-40 minutes; flipping every 10 minutes or so
Eggplant and Mushrooms:
- chop mushrooms into bit size pieces and steam for 3-5 minutes
- cut eggplant into quarters lengthwise and steam 12-15 minutes, or until tender
- eggplant into bit pieces
Assemble dinner salad:
- Rip up lettuce and plate
- layer eggplant and mushrooms
- add tofu slabs
- drizzle with Aunnie’s Natural Lite Honey Mustard
- sprinkle sunflower seeds
Have you heard this myth that eggplant has no nutritional value?? I do not know where this originated, but I have been told this a few times. Well, it is so NOT true! One cup of eggplant has 3g of fiber and 5% of your daily potassium and folate. For only 20 calories, I would say that is not bad. Eggplant is also rich in flavonoids that help protect your cells against damage and cancer. So eat up!
What is your go to back on track meal? If I don’t make a salad it is usually a veggie topped rice bowl.
I’m off to read BossyPants. I’m only like one chapter in and I already love it! She’s hilarious and so entertaining.