My first love was Blue Diamond….
Then, I discovered the creaminess of Silk Almond…
Next, I discovered some local NYC nut milk makers…
Finally, I got out my nuts and blender and crafted my own.
Nut milk love at first sight. I’ve been enjoying my own nut milk for the past 3 weeks. And it has become part of my Sunday afternoon food prep for the week.
There is nothing better than making something you love yourself. Also, it is hell of a lot cheaper, fresher, and you can customize the hell out it.
The basic recipe, if you can call it that, is a 1:4 ratio of soaked nuts to cold water + any type of sweetener if you want it (1-2 soaked date, stevia, honey, sugar). Blend in a good blender or food processor and strainingng the pulp if you desire. Which, I do desire. And done.
After doing a basic unsweetened with both almonds and cashews, I got fancy.
Vanilla Cardamom Cashew Nut Milk
- 1 cup cashews, soaked overnight in the refrigerator
- 4 cups cold water
- 1 pitted,soaked date (I soaked it right with the cashews)
- couple drops of vanilla flavoring
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- Combine everything in blender/food processor (I use the Ninja) and blend for 1 -2 minutes
- Strain pulp if desired using thin wire strainer or nut milk bag
- Place in bottle and store in fridge. Use within 5-7 days.
I’ve been keeping the pulp and adding it to smoothies, yogurt, cereal. I frozen a lot of it to try things like:
Nut Pate filling for homemade sushi rolls.
And happy friday!!
What is on the top of your cooking / to make list??? I’m feeling inspired. Recipe links are welcome!
Check out yesterday’s post to see why I am having the best week ever! I also forgot to mention some big work and travel news – another good things post I guess! Never a bad thing.